Is Social Media really the new Website killer?
Over the last 10 years, we’ve seen social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Instagram and so on become a huge part of people’s daily lives.
Somehow it has become the popular notion that social media is much more important for brands than their own websites.
Biggest WRONGEST assumptions:
1. Everyone is sharing and talking on FB/Twitter/Youtube etc. so why would anyone come to my site? Which leads into…
2. Since consumers make these social media channels such a big part of their lives, by being present on these channels, brands can also squeeze themselves into people’s lives. Which ends up in…
3. The correct digital marketing strategy for the new generation is to put most of my time and money into social media, and almost nothing on my website.
Make love with each other (but website is always on top).
Perhaps the correct way to think about websites and social media in the context of digital marketing is like a brand outlet and star salesmen. Your website should be the brand outlet. Social media channels, Adwords, Content marketing, Video marketing, Emailers etc etc. are all star salesmen that can help you connect with your target audiences in different ways.
Social media is easier to get into “while running”, but makes you “keep running” in all aspects. A website needs more thought and planning, but once your core brand communication is established, you only need to update in terms of content and style.
You need both.
Brands with only social media presence lack their own distinct identity.
Brands with only a website seem disconnected from their audience.
Why your website is MORE IMPORTANT than any social media platform:
Social media = RENTING.
- you don't own the domain
- you don't own the customer data
- you don't create/own the rules
- you can't influence changes in content delivery
- your creativity is limited by the platform
- you play by the rules everyone has to follow
Your website = BUYING.
- THE OPPOSITE OF ALL THE ABOVE.
So don’t neglect your website. Remember it’s your home base.
To get our digital marketing techniques working for you, click here!